Export Controls on Electronic Devices


TWU employees who wish to take TWU laptop computers out of the country may contact TWU IT Solutions to obtain a loaner laptop and an institutional certification form before traveling. Institutional certification forms are required if employees are traveling with either institution-owned or personal laptops.


  1. No other university-owned devices will be taken on foreign travel
  2. Users must request a laptop at least 2 weeks prior to their departure date
  3. No data will be stored on removable media. Users should save data to the local drive or to their University-provided Google Drive.
  4. Laptop configuration:
    1. Verify a clean image prior to departure (and wipe and reinstall image after return from traveling outside the U.S.)
    2. Bitlocker encryption
    3. Malwarebytes
    4. VPN client installed (MFA-enabled)

Export Controls on Electronic Devices (laptops, etc.)

The export of controlled items, technology, commercial software, and encryption code is subject to export control regulations. This includes laptops, PDAs, and digital storage devices. The EAR makes an exception (15 CFR 740.9) to licensing requirements for the temporary export or re-export of such items as long as certain criteria are met. Institution-owned or personal laptops and other electronic devices that contain normal and customary application software and data are considered “tools of trade” and are exempt from export licensing provided that the device is kept under the traveler’s control and is brought back to the U.S. no more than one year after the departure date.

TWU IT Solutions will provide employees who plan to travel to foreign countries with laptops that meet all the criteria for the “tools of trade” exemption.

The exempt status of all devices (TWU property or personal property) taken to foreign countries must be documented via an institutional export license exception certification signed by the traveler prior to departure. Travelers must carry the certification at all times during their trip.

Getting started

  1. Complete the Export Control Request form at least 2 weeks prior to the departure date.
  2. Complete the form and attach it to this ticket request.

Who can use it

TWU employees

Learn more

URP: 02.450 Export Controls Policy


Contact the Technology Service Desk at 940-898-3971servicedesk@twu.edu, techchat.twu.edu, submit a request through the Technology Service Catalog, or submit a request by clicking Request Service on this page.

Export Control: Laptop Loan for Foreign Travel


Service ID: 13552
Wed 6/15/16 2:01 PM
Tue 11/1/22 9:21 AM